Sunday, October 01, 2006

Green Tea, The Ohsaki Study

There have been many reports on the protective effects of green tea polyphenols against heart disease and cancer, but these reports are mostly based on in-vitro and in animal studies. The Ohsaki Study was designed to investigate the effect of drinking green tea in more than 40,000 Japanese adults aged 40 to 79 years to see if the benefits could be confirmed in humans. These subjects were studied for 11 years (1995-2005).

The main outcome evaluated was death due to cardiovascular disease or cancer, and all cause mortality. The researchers for this large population-based, prospective cohort study concluded that green tea consumption was associated with a decreased mortality from cardivascular disease, especially in women, but it was not associated with a decreased mortality due to cancer. Clinical trials will be needed to better define the role of green tea in our health. Meanwhile maybe I should give up my coffee in the morning for some green tea.

Reference: JAMA, 2006;296:1255-1265.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife is still mourning the loss of her mother who died from cancer.
It is not until you experince a loss like this that you wake up to the challenges of cancer.
Her mother had smoked for all her life and even though you know it will kill it is not until you face that reality tht you wake up and smell the coffee or in this case green tea.
Until we find a cure or something to slow the process down, we all need to control what we put inside our bodies, after all we are what we eat.
If green tea helps, well its time to tell the world
Mark
Car Breakdown Cover

Anonymous said...

I've had close first hand experience of cancer too. Do you know if there ARE any clinical trials currently being undergone? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be very keen to know as any conclusive proof of anything that helps would be useful to everyone, whereas if it is proved it definitely does not then that also should be made known to avoid false hopes.

Diccon

http://www.dnapropertyltd.com

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am first 30 years and suffer from high blood pressure.
Take and the regular drink from green tea I have got to gain control of my health. I can only say the green tea anyway with all vascular diseases positively is recommended. Herewith I also Thank to my doctor for this tip.
With friendly greetz Leon from SMSChat.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that information, I have been carrying out some research myself into what effects Green Tea has on our bodies in general and it is nice to get such concise information. I'm still debating about whether to start drinking it or not.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Best Regards
mirc
mirç
mırc
mırç
mircturk
turkmirc
mirc indir
mirc yukle
mirch
mırch
mirc turk
turk mirc
mırcturk
turkmırc
mırc turk
turk mırc
turkiyemirc
türkiyemirc
turkiye mirc
türkiye mirc
mircturkiye
mirctürkiye
mirc turkiye
mircturk
turkmırc
muhabbet
forum
forum
turkforum
turkiyeforum
mirc
turkmirc
toplist
site ekle
pagerank
turkmirc
turkforum
sohbet
chat
sohbet odaları
bedava sohbet
bedava chat
türk
karar

Anonymous said...

Though I haven't taken green tea I may ad it to my list of supplements I do take.
I had severe arteriosclorosis
throughout my arteries and heart in 1986 at age 39 even though I was otherwise healthy and normal weight.
Though I did have three major surgeries and stents to open the arteries supplements seem to have kept the disease from returning.
It's been 22 years.
Green tea should be a good addition to my daily supplements.

Anonymous said...

Green Tee is really good for health...
My Grandma from Germany said so...

Dr.Gray said...

I always find these studies interesting. But do you ever wonder why they do not talk about what green tea they use for the studies. I mean there is such a variety and I would think the difference between a tea bag and some high quality loose leaf tea like this - loose leaf tea - would be a huge difference.